Thanksgiving Recipes 7 – The Cream Pies

[This is part of a multi-post series on Thanksgiving. Start from the beginning.]

[A note from the blogger: I have updated this post to reflect the fact that some of my measurements were wrong. While making pies last night, I realized a few mistakes in this post.]

I am, if I do say so myself, pretty good at making pie. I have even been called the Queen of Pie. I like pie. I like making pie. And the Tuesday before Thanksgiving is Pie Day – the day on which I make at least 4 if not more pies. In this entry, I’ll discuss the easier pies.

Yes, I take help from the grocery store. No, I do not feel bad about it. Yes, I think Jell-O makes some darn good pudding!

Mike’s family is a big fan of banana cream pie. It’s not really my thing, but I think I’ve come up with a good recipe never the less. I make it in a 9-inch pie plate.

The crust is a pressed cookie crust – graham crackers to be precise. Since I now own a food processor, the whole thing is really easier than ever before. I buzzed up on sleeve of graham crackers in the food processor, and added about 2 tablespoons of sugar. I then added 4 tablespoons of melted butter, and it was done. I pressed it into the pie plate, and shoved it in the oven for 10 minutes at 350 degrees to set up nice.

For the filling, I mix up the “for a fuller pie” recipe on the box of Jell-O’s french vanilla instant pudding. If memory serves, that’s something like 2 3/4 cups of milk for two boxes. Then I slice up at least 3 bananas, having a fourth on reserve. I slice them thin – about 1/4 of an inch. This way, there are many many layers. The first layer is a thinly spread layer of pudding. Then I tile on a complete layer of banana. Another layer of pudding fills in the spaces, and another layer of banana goes atop that. This continues, ending with pudding, until all the pudding is gone. The pie will not just be “fuller” – it will be full.

But I’m not done yet. I mix up some vanilla whipped cream, which I end up making at least 2 pints worth (that’s 2 pints of heavy cream, before whipping) by the end of the weekend. Some of it goes directly on the pudding pies, and the rest is used as a condiment on other pies. This is simple. In a cold bowl, whip the cream until airy. Then add powdered sugar (it has corn starch in it, this is important) – about 1/2 a cup per pint of cream, as well as 1 teaspoon of vanilla per pint of cream. Whip until peaky. Taste as you get close to see if you’d like it a bit sweeter. If you’re making both the banana and the chocolate cream pies (chocolate cream recipe on the way!), you’ll need almost a whole pint for topping.

To finish off the banana cream pie, use a piping bag or other prettifying device to cover the pie in whipped cream. Eat the banana cream pie within 3 days – the bananas will leach, and it will get soupy, and no one wants that.

Now, for the chocolate!

I get those chocolate cracker cookies whose name I do not know and which I have to scour the store to find every time I want them (they are called Famous Chocolate Wafers!). They are very light and quite crunchy. They come in a single stack. If you haven’t a clue what I’m talking about and/or can’t find them, Oreos would probably be okay, but you might reduce the butter content. You can also get chocolate graham crackers, and treat them just as regular graham crackers.

I set aside 6 crackers, broken in half neatly for decoration, and then put the rest of the package of chocolate cookies in the food processor with a quarter cup of sugar and 5 tablespoons of butter. It makes a similar kind of crust to graham cracker – only chocolate! This will make more than you need for one crust, but not enough for two. Line a 9-inch pie plate, and sprinkle the extra on a baking sheet. Throw both in the oven at 350 for ten minutes.

Meanwhile, make up some devil’s food chocolate pudding “for a fuller pie” and some more vanilla whipped cream. Let the crust cool a bit before adding about 1/3 of the pudding – the idea is to make about an inch thick layer of pudding. Then fold an equal amount of whipped cream into the remaining pudding, making a kind of mousse-like-thing. It’s awesome. Which is great, because you’ll have extra. Add this stuff to the pie, in heaping quantities. You can even pipe it on to make a pretty design. Finally, sprinkle on some of the extra crumbs, making a gorgeous chocolate mousse pie. You can also adorn it with more whipped cream and the reserved crackers. I usually have to store this pie in a cake carrier because it’s too tall to fit in a pie carrier.

Oooh, and bonus! Snacks for the chef! Even stacked as high as you can make it, you’ll probably have extra mousse and extra chocolate crumbs. Make yourself a snack, you deserve it! (I suppose you could also just do the whole thing in a 10-inch pan… but where’s the fun in that?)

November 23rd, 2009 • 10:45 am • dinane • Posted in Food

4 Responses to “Thanksgiving Recipes 7 – The Cream Pies”

1. Jill says:

I know that you made these for Thanksgiving, but I am going to make them for Christmas. You page has been a big help to a not so great a cook. I hope you will make me shine. Thanks.

2. dinane says:

I hope you and your family enjoy them!

3. Boris Badanov says:

YOU. ARE. KILLING. THIS. CAT. WITH. THE. CREAM. PIES. How can such talents possibly have not struck my Minion?

4. dinane says:

Boris, just ask her to make the whipped cream. You will like that and it is easy.

Or just ask her for sour cream. Mimic loves sour cream.

5. great points altogether, you simply gained a brand new reader.
    What might you suggest in regards to your submit that you just made a few days ago?

Any certain?

6. Get a lot of carbs, protein, and healthy fats
    with each meal. The color photos, plus a straightforward
    explanation, make this whole program look achievable. You can have processed foods sometimes but be sure you simply have about 3 cheat meals a
    week.

7. What are this footwear supposed to caused by assist you with
    your vertical leap. You should realize whey and casein proteins,
    constituting at the very least 90 percent of an cow’s milk protein content, have contrasting properties.
    How do you think you’re likely to know which programs work,
    when all are full of hype and false promises.

8. I’m extremely impressed with your writing skills as well as
    with the layout on your weblog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself?
    Either way keep up the excellent quality writing, it is rare to see a nice blog
    like this one these days.

9. Thanks for finally writing about > Thanksgiving Recipes 7 – The Cream
    Pies ? d i n a n e . n e t < Liked it!

10. I delight in, cause I discovered exactly what I used to be having a look for.
    You’ve ended my 4 day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great
    day. Bye

11. The plans vegetables provide some carbohydrates, but the protein provides the meal stamina
    and suppressing of your appetite ability. Everyone fantasizes that losing
    weight will transform their entire life. Balanced index list
    eating is not much dieting as it’s a healthy lifestyle strategy for eating.

12. Firstly, you might have two ways to get a job: be approached by a business, or approach them via either networking or direct application against employment advert.

Google+ promises to be different from previous social failures because this is a totally new
    approach from Google. Keeping as much as the demands of online enthusiasts, Google combined all
    essential web features to help expand provide ease
    of use to every single Google member.

13. seo says:

Hello Web Admin, I noticed that your On-Page SEO is is missing a few factors, for one you do not use all three H tags in your post, also I notice that you are not using bold or italics properly in your SEO optimization. On-Page SEO means more now than ever since the new Google update: Panda. No longer are backlinks and simply pinging or sending out a RSS feed the key to getting Google PageRank or Alexa Rankings, You now NEED On-Page SEO. So what is good On-Page SEO?First your keyword must appear in the title.Then it must appear in the URL.You have to optimize your keyword and make sure that it has a nice keyword density of 3-5% in your article with relevant LSI (Latent Semantic Indexing). Then you should spread all H1,H2,H3 tags in your article.Your Keyword should appear in your first paragraph and in the last sentence of the page. You should have relevant usage of Bold and italics of your keyword.There should be one internal link to a page on your blog and you should have one image with an alt tag that has your keyword….wait there’s even more Now what if i told you there was a simple WordPress plugin that does all the On-Page SEO, and automatically for you? That’s right AUTOMATICALLY, just watch this 4minute video for more information at. Seo Plugin

14. zlglmoxlq says:

Thanksgiving Recipes 7 – The Cream Pies « d i n a n e . n e t
    azlglmoxlq
    zlglmoxlq http://www.g4jh1at53ciw6p0v1013x24p0c9e6iy6s.org/
    [url=http://www.g4jh1at53ciw6p0v1013x24p0c9e6iy6s.org/]uzlglmoxlq[/url]

15. Nannie says:

The end result is really a superior protein that constantly preserves the highest quantities of Lactoferrin, Immunoglobulins and Serum Albumin, the three vulnerable protein factors most
    vulnerable to over-processing.

Visit my webpage: grass fed whey protein isolate canada (Nannie)

16. Louann says:

Actually, even the pastures that the cattle graze on are fully chemical free.

Here is my page – grass fed whey protein bars [Louann]

17. I rae from early February through late October oor early November
    most years, a really long season. The game starts, and Billy plays pretty well:
    12 points, 6 rebounds, and 5 assists.

Take a look at my blog: how to make a volcano

18. google.us says:

These service options consist of: email aid, live conversation support, telephone support, as well as a FAQ web site These types of acclaim are
    restricted with paper certification

19. trixie says:

Commanders who will ought to travel through a
    region or get a position within an area to obscure a unit will do a way reconnaissance Mistakes as part of your report can cause
    you mortgage rejections and bad transactions that’s why you can’t just let these people pass